Trying to maintain your healthy eating habits during a festive occasion can be difficult at times especially during the holiday season. Here are a few tips to help you make healthy food choices and limit tempting, high-calorie foods during the holidays and other special occasions:
- Plan before you eat and don’t arrive on an empty stomach – Foods high in water and fiber like fruits and vegetables will help curb your appetite; I will generally eat a banana and have a full glass of water before I attend a festive occasion that involves food, it helps me feel full and it avoids me from over indulging at meal time.
- When you arrive at celebrations check out all the food options and develop a plan which will enable you to sample foods you enjoy without abandoning the good habits you’ve formed. It’s okay to have some holiday treats, just spend your calories wisely and then enjoy the foods you choose.
- Eat slowly and leave the table when you are done - Take time and enjoy the taste of your meal but don’t linger at the table as you may be tempted to continue eating even if you are not hungry.
- Offer to bring a healthy dish as this strategy not only provides you with a good menu option, but your host will greatly appreciate the help.
- Think about people, not food and what you are celebrating – You should concentrate on socializing, making new acquaintances and having fun and spending time conversing with relatives or reminiscing with old friends.
Enjoy this healthy, low-calorie, nonfat, delicious fruit dessert with red and green holiday appeal; eat it before the festive occasion to curb your appetite or bring it with you to share with guests!
Red and Green Holiday Fruit Dessert
By Lynn Grieger, RD, CDE, CPT for Summit Medical Group
- 2 cups of strawberries, cleaned and sliced
- 2 kiwis, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup of red raspberries, washed
- 1 cup of plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 tablespoon of clover honey
- Fresh, washed mint leaves for garnish
- Mix fruit in a large bowl.
- Mix yogurt, vanilla, and honey together in a small bowl.
- Serve 1/2-cup servings of fruit in a glass dish.
- Top the fruit with 2 tablespoons of the yogurt mix.
- Garnish each dish with a few fresh mint leaves for aesthetic appeal.
All Churchill corporate housing features full-service kitchens that are energy efficient with high-end finishes. With more than 8,000 properties our elegant and furnished homes
include luxury doorman high-rises, spectacular amenities with panoramic views, a resident party room to host a festive event or take it to the next level and enjoy a landscaped rooftop terrace with catering kitchen. Let Churchill be your short-term housing provider, we are here to accommodate your housing needs offering top-tier furnished corporate rentals
in California, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Washington D.C., and Nationwide
. Take a look at our properties
to find a location for your next extended stay. We have options ranging from modest to the most extravagant budgets; our customer service department is ready to help you feel “At Home, Anywhere”. For more information, please contact us at 866-255-0593 or National@FurnishedHousing.com